Nordic Centre of Excellence:
Reassessing the Nordic
Mi Ah Schøyen
Cross-border Influence in Social Policy
CALL FOR PAPERS
The organising committee for the 2008 ESPAnet Annual Conference invites abstracts from colleagues willing to present a paper at the Conference.
ESPAnet conferences attempt to stimulate exchange among scholars in the field of European social policy analysis and to promote inter- and multi-disciplinary approaches. The 6th Annual ESPAnet Conference 2008 in Helsinki addresses cross-border influences in social policy. In conditions of globalization, the diffusion of ideas concerning social policy across national borders is highly topical. Diffusion of ideas has been accelerated by the process of globalization itself, and also by activities of international organizations such as the UN, the World Bank, the IMF, the OECD and the EU. Also, at a time of global markets, multinational corporations and their activities set new challenges for the development of national social policy.
Yet, cross-border influences in social policy are not only a phenomenon of the 2000s. In practically all countries, the historical developments in social policy can be traced back to a number of different international roots at different times. The international ingredients have contributed to the national mixtures, differently in every country. Old impacts still play a role in today´s social policy practice.
This ESPAnet Conference in September 2008 looks ahead into the global future of cross-border influences in social policy, but also analyzes the earlier experience of diffusion of social policy ideas. The conference offers a forum for debating policy learning, and lessons and evidence from exporting, importing and integrating ideas. The conference also enables discussion of methodological issues in doing research on cross-border influences in social policy.
We welcome those active in social policy research to submit an abstract. We wish to receive contributions from different disciplines. There are 18 streams to choose from. (Further information on Conference Streams is available on the Conference website.)
CONFERENCE STREAMS AND STREAM CONVENORS
- 1. History of ideas and social policy, Risto Eräsaari
- 2. Europeanization and welfare state change, Paolo Graziano, Ana Guillen, Bruno Palier
- 3. Climate change and social policy, Ian Gough
- 4. Comparative methodology: worlds and varieties of welfare capitalism, Deborah Mabbett
- 5. New member states in European social policy, Miroslav Beblavý, Violetta Zentai
- 6. Promoting social cohesion in third countries, Bent Greve, Marco Zupi
- 7. Why do countries adopt cross-border models? Mitchell A Orenstein
- 8. Public regulation and private action: the new politics of welfare, Paul Bridgen, Traute Meyer
- 9. Women and pensions, Athina Vlachantoni, Patricia Frericks
- 10. Work and welfare policies - innovations and cross-border influences, Pertti Koistinen, Amparo Serrano
- 11. Migration and social protection in the enlarged European Union, Alfio Cerami
- 12. The return of old-age poverty, Sigrid Leitner, Stephan Lessenich
- 13. Changing ideas and consequences of reforms in healthcare, Monika Steffen, Claus Wendt
- 14. The cross-border diffusion of ideas and care workers in the field of long-term care in Europe, Birgit Pfau-Effinger, Marta Szebehely
- 15. Social exclusion, Jorge Garcés, Stephanie Carretero
- 16. Social problems and (post-socialist) social policies in new member states, Pirkko-Liisa Rauhala
- 17. Basic income in comparison, Michael Opielka
- 18. Open stream
SUBMISSION OF ABSTRACT
An abstract must include:
1. An indication to which stream theme (see above) the paper fits.
2. A summary of the paper´s theme and how the topic will be handled (max 300 words, rich text format).
3. Full contact details of author(s): Name(s), affiliation, postal address (including post code), phone number (including country and area dialling code) and e-mail address.
Please send your abstract before 14 March 2008 to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
ACCEPTANCE OF PAPER PROPOSALS
The local organising committee will send out information about the acceptance of paper proposals by 25 April 2008.
For information about other key dates see www.etk.fi/espanet2008.